Approximately one third of all FAFSAs are selected by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) for “Verification.” Verification is ED's way of ensuring that everyone is being honest with the figures they are reporting on the FAFSA. If your FAFSA information was chosen for verification you will be notified by the NNU Office of Financial Aid via email. If you would like further information about Verification, please CLICK HERE for NNU's Verification Policy.
Why is your file being verified?
There are several possibilities for being selected for FAFSA verification. Keep in mind that more possibilities exist, but the following are the main reasons for being selected:
- You were selected randomly.
- The submitted FAFSA application has incomplete data.
- The data on the FAFSA application appears to contradict itself.
- The FAFSA application has estimated information on it.
What do you need to do now?
Generally verification requires two things:
- Complete a Verification worksheet, which should be provided from the Office of Financial Aid via email.
- Verify tax information using the following method:
- IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT): This is the recommended method for verifying tax information, as the DRT will transfer the necessary tax information directly into your FAFSA. After clicking on the "Financial Information" tab in your FAFSA, and indicating the correct filing status for your (or your parents') taxes, you will be asked 2 questions to determine if you are eligible to use the DRT. Once those questions are answered, you will be able to click the "Link to IRS" button. You will have to confirm that you want to continue to the IRS site. Once there, you will confirm the identifying information, and submit it - which will bring the income information back to the FAFSA.
- NOTE: Be sure to use the address you used on your taxes for the year in question.
- If the IRS DRT will not work for you, please contact the Financial Aid Office for other options in completing this requirement. You can reach us by phone: 208-467-8638 or email: email@example.com